Search This Blog

Monday, March 31, 2014

The Forty-Third Day: Westminster Abbey, Camden Market the Sequel


Saturday, March 22:

This morning, we went inside Westminster Abbey for the first (and only) time. (Only because it cost £18, which is a little pricey. Worth it once, though.) It's so weird seeing all these things in person. I mean, I watched the royal wedding on the telly, like everyone else did. But to actually be here in person? 



To be in the same place where every coronation of every English Monarch since 1066 has happened? 



Surreal. Amazing. Also, the PEOPLE THAT ARE BURIED HERE, guys. Check it out:

Sir Issac Newton
Yup. THAT Charles Darwin. 
Geoffrey Chaucer, author of The Canterbury Tales
Alfred Lord Tennyson, Poet Laureate.
 "Tis better to have loved and lost / Than never to have loved at all"
Robert Browning, poet and playwright. Penned the Pied Piper of Hamelin.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, English essayist and Lexicographer. Compiled A Dictionary of the English Language. 
If I need to tell you who Charles Dickens is... that's sad. 
Rudyard Kipling, author of The Jungle Book.
Laurence Olivier, the great Shakespearean actor.
George Frederic Handel, composer. Known for The Messiah.
And that's not including any of the Royalty! I thought about posting more photos, but just look at the website. (This blog is taking entirely too long to compose. haha.) 

My favourite highlights were the resting places of Henry V, Richard II, Elizabeth I, Mary I (Mary Tudor) and Mary, Queen of Scots. 

Disclaimer: None of the prior photos have been mine. They don't allow photography inside the Abbey. However, once we got into a small courtyard portion, we could snap a few. 







Afterward, I took Chris to Camden Market (yup, the place I just went the other day. With the amazing churros. Yes, I ordered another one.)



CYBERDOG IS SO WEIRD, guys. It's mainly a clothing shop, but they sell clothes and accessories for raves.
Weird environment. They had some really interesting dresses I TOTALLY would have worn, though.
Check out some of them.

Everything is very futuristic, but in a retro way. Like what you'd see spacemen (women?)
wearing in a 1950s sci-fi flick. 
We walked down to the canal in Camden, and watched a boat go through the Camden Lock. I hadn't the foggiest what a lock was. Now I do. It's like an elevator, but for boats. Here's a video, if you'd like to see it in action.



All in all, a great day. 

Cheers!
Kami & Chris, the Pseudo-Londoners


No comments:

Post a Comment