Search This Blog

Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Twenty-Sixth Day: Pancake Day. The Twenty Seventh Day: Chris in Scotland.

Okay.  I'm seriously behind with this. Real sorry about that. This is usually how my blogs tend to end up, which is why none of them have lasted more than a few months. I digress.

Tuesday, March 4:
It's Shrove Tuesday. The day before Ash Wednesday. Mardi Gras. The last day to gorge yourself before you give up all the meat, eggs, sugar, what have you, for the next 40 days. PANCAKE DAY.

Legend has it,  a housewife from OlneyBuckinghamshire, was so busy making pancakes to use up all her food before Lent, that she forgot the time until she heard the church bells ringing for the service. She raced out of the house to church while still carrying her frying pan and pancake. And that's how the Pancake Races were born.

People literally run with a frying pan full of pancakes on Shrove Tuesday. I love this tradition. I joined a friend, Shara, from my church. We headed to Borough Market for the Pancake Day Festivities. Check it out. 












"Ref! Er... Rev! His foot's over the line!"








Wednesday, March 5

Chris went to Glasgow to do a demonstration of Canvas for some Scottish universities! While he was there, he snapped a few awesome photos. Wish I could have joined him, (we decided against it because I'm joining him on ANOTHER awesome trip, and we've got to save some cash. More on THAT trip later...) but I'm sure we'll have another opportunity to go to Scotland together before we go back to the States. 




George Square




"Hey Kam! Know what this is?" "Yeah, it's a Tardis." "No, it's some kind of Dr. Who thing."

Chris ate here. A little ol' place called Babbity Bowster.



This shopping center has a giant iron peacock on top.
Fancy mall!

While Chris was gallivanting around Glasgow, I went to dinner at a Japanese restaurant, and an improv comedy show with some friends. Take THAT Scotland! 

Now. Remember that trip I mentioned earlier? Tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn, Chris and I are going to the Netherlands! Amsterdam, Utrecht, and Eindhoven. First stop when we get there? The Anne Frank House. I've dreamed about seeing this place since my sister bought her diary for my 12th birthday. Living on this side of the world is awesome. 

Cheers!
Kami & Chris, the Pseudo-Londoners

No comments:

Post a Comment