Search This Blog

Monday, March 17, 2014

The Thirty-Third Day: Utrecht, Speelklok Museum, Domkerk and Dom Tower.

Tuesday, March 11:

Chris had work meetings for the first part of the day, so I ventured to a quirky little museum called the Speelklok Museum. It's a museum filed with automatically playing musical instruments. Things like music boxes, chiming clocks, pianolas, and of course, GIANT STREET ORGANS. I loved this museum. The majority of the pieces are still in working order, and if you go on the museum tour, the guide plays some of them for you. 




Here is a video of a particularly interesting cafe organ with a self-playing accordion and saxophone.


This little old couple started dancing. Most adorable thing I've seen yet. I want to hug them.

This isn't even showing HALF the height of the Mortier. It's a GIANT instrument, used in Dance Halls. 



After visiting the museum, Chris's meetings were over and we were able to explore the city together. 

On the left is the Dom Tower, the most famous landmark in the city. It was once connected to the Domkerk (Dome Church), but the middle portion of the building was destroyed in 1674, and was never rebuilt. 










Courtyard in the middle of Domkerk.






Chris is a good sport to man the camera while I experiment with outdoor lighting. Haha.
The arch behind us is the bottom part of Dom Tower.
We ate pita gyros from a vendor on this street and boy, were they awesome. 

No big deal, only FREAKING ALIENS HAVE LANDED IN UTRECHT.
I have no idea what this building is, but there's a UFO. I'm obsessed with this. 
Obligatory "Tulips in Holland in Springtime" shot.
 UPDATE: I've been schooled by my in-laws. "Your tulips are actually crocuses!"
Ha. Shows what I know. Looked like tulips to me! Fail. 

We spent probably a good few hours trying to find a stroopwafel vendor. You can buy pre-made ones in all the grocery stores, but it's not the same as a fresh one. Oh, what's a stroopwafel, you ask? Only the most delicious thing ever invented. Imagine two hot, sugary, cookie-like wafers with caramel in the middle. Heaven. We finally found the vendor, right before we needed to get on the train for the airport. It was worth it.  I'm going to buy a stroopwafel iron when we get back to the states. 

4 comments:

  1. Your tulips are actually crocuses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love every bit of this! BUT- when do you get back to London??
    Those stroopwafels look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're cool! Also chris is a great sport for putting up all manning the camera and having his picture taken all the time! That stroopwafel looks and sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kami, Graeme here, (I work with Chris) so where's the Paul McCartney story? I know there is one....

    ReplyDelete