Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Thirty-Eighth Day: Southbank. The Thirty-Ninth Day: Westminster. The Fortieth Day: Leeds and Sheffield

"Three days in one blog?!" you ask. "Well, yes." I respond. "I need to get caught up somehow, don't I?" "Oh, carry on!" you say.

Monday, March 17th

On this day, I took a little walk around Southbank. It's probably one of my favourite areas in the city because there's so much to see. These are all iPhone photos, so forgive the grainy quality. 

St. Paul's
Tower Bridge
View from Millenium Bridge. Again. I like this bridge, okay?

St. Paul's from Tate Modern
Sunset from Millenium Bridge
Tuesday, March 18:

Chris was out of town on business today, so I went to lunch with my sweet friend, Kate Baxter. I met her in Westminster, and took some photos while we were out and about.

This is the view just around the corner from the Westminster Tube Station.
And this is the other view, just across from the Westminster Tube Station.
Needless to say, a lot of tourists go to the Westminster Tube Station.
Turns out, there's a big ol' statue of Honest Abe in Parliament Square. Who knew?!
The lovely Westminster Abbey.
I could stare at this building all day.

Another Ukrainian Protest in Parliament Square. I really hope this situation gets resolved soon.
We chatted with a few of the protesters for about 20 minutes. Interesting stories, each of them. One man said Ukrainians are a very resilient people. No matter what happens to them, they'll bounce back. 
Loved this lapel pin. Which I'd thought to ask what it meant.
After our lunch, Kate had a job interview, so I headed home to Bayswater. I took a roundabout way to get home, and wasn't exactly sure where I was at, so I pulled up google maps on my phone. Staring at your phone and walking the busy sidewalks of London is never a good idea. You're bound to run into somebody. I looked up JUST before bumping into a gentleman, and stopped dead in my tracks, mouth agape. Did I almost just run right into Paul McCartney? Why yes. Yes I did. After about 30 seconds of staring, he gave me a little nod, which jolted me out of my stupor. I kept walking and realized, "Man! I should have taken a photo!"  I pulled over to the side of the walkway, and tried to be discreet. Fail. This blonde rolled her eyes at me. Who cares, lady. It's Paul McCartney! See that back of a man's head? (Not in the blue stripes, in the black.) That's him. A fantastic photo. I know. I was shaking in my boots okay? It was the best I could do under the circumstances. 


Next thing I know, I'm all the way into my apartment. I'd somehow walked home and up the four flights of stairs without really thinking about it. Second guessing what I'd just experienced, I googled "Paul McCartney in Notting Hill?" Just to see if that's a thing he normally does. Turns out his grandkids go to school just around the corner from where I live. I decided I needed to go investigate further. If this was really Macca, this might be my only chance to see him, after all. I took of the glasses I'd been wearing and switched my coat, so he wouldn't recognize me as the jaw-dropped-starer-girl from before. (I'm only now realizing the level of my creepitude. Altering my appearance? I'd be real good at stalking.) I walked back down there, and lo and behold! Paul McCartney. My eyes weren't deceiving me!  I thought about approaching him, but read somewhere that the only time he gets bugged about it are when his kids/grandkids are around. If I were him, I wouldn't want some psycho approaching my kids either. So I stayed at a distance, but managed a better photo. 


And that's the story of how Kami saw a Beatle in London. 
I mean, I couldn't have hand-picked a better celebrity sighting. Paul's been my favourite Beatle since like 1991. Which is saying something, because I was born in 1988. 

Wednesday, March 19: 

Chris barely gets any blog-time, so this day is all about him, 'kay? He went to Leeds and Sheffield for some demonstrations of Canvas, and took some pretty awesome photos while he was out. Check out this little conservatory where he enjoyed some hot cocoa. 

What's that red thing at the bottom? Can we zoom in on that?
OH. It's just an acrylic snake and giant blue butterfly for no reason.
Awesome arches.
Love those jet streams.
This is the Town Hall building in Sheffield.  Stunning. 

Cheers!
Kami & Chris, the Pseudo-Londoners.


1 comment:

  1. Your Sheffield photos are particularly stunning. Also- I'm super excited that my name is in this blog. FAMOUS!!!!!!!!! Even if I'm not Paul, getting on here makes me feel like I am as famous as he :)

    ReplyDelete