Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Forty-Fourth Day: Natural History Museum

Sunday, March 23: 

Went back to the Natural History Museum today, to finish the whole thing. The last time we were here was within our first week. It's high time we saw dinosaurs. Not going to lie, being Brock's little sister makes seeing museum exhibits real disappointing. We're dinosaur elitists 'round these parts. 



The main hall was so overcrowded, so we decided to start at the top floor and work our way down.

#elevatorselfie
Stepping out of the elevator, you see this: 


So it's pretty much official that I love this building more than I can explain. 


Amazing.
All these people, so blissfully ignorant about how lame that Diplodocus cast is. 
Now this was cool, because it's an actual fossil. And a pretty impressive one at that.
 "Archaeopteryx is the earliest known bird and the Natural History Museum cares for the first skeleton specimen ever found. This spectacular fossil helped prove that modern birds evolved from dinosaurs and was the first example providing support for Darwin's theory of evolution. It is the most valuable fossil in the Museum's collection."


The crowning glory of the Dinosaur Exhibit is this robot Tyrannosaur, which was actually pretty cool.



We then went to The Cocoon, which is where they store the museum archives, and you can see museum scientists doing research, etc. It was cool, except we were there on Sunday, which meant no scientists were working. Next time. The building is an awesome seven stories, though. 




Chris sneakily snapped this of me when I turned around to look at him.
Also, I'm pretty sure those are the Hogwarts Magical Shifting Staircases. 
Then I started taking pictures of the stuffed animals. Some because they're awesome, some because they're absolutely ridiculous.



Those were all awesome. 

This guy. Ridiculous.
"Oh HAAAAAAAY GUYS! I'm just a happy baby hippo!" Ridiculous. 
This face! Those eyes! Why does it make me laugh so hard?! Ridiculous.
What happens if those top two horns just keep growing into his head?!
HA!! I can't see this picture without laughing. Ridiculous.
Things like this make me miss being in Africa.
Kruger Safaris kind of ruin museum/zoo exhibits for the rest of time. 
Giraffes look so beautiful in profile, and so goofy from the front.
SURPRISE!
If I ever see a blue whale in the ocean, I will probably pee my pants. Sheer terror. Too huge.
Bahaha. Smiley little guy. 


WHAT EVEN IS THIS?! Ridiculous.
I want this as a pet.

THIS! This anteater! His little curly body! So ridiculous. 
Oh man. If sloths aren't the most ridiculous thing...
Okay, I'm actually kind of terrified of armadillos. Those claws. Yipes. 
OH HIS SPINDLY, SPINDLY LEGS! Jerboa. You kill me. 
Oh my gosh. This shrew. His nose. Why is it?!
Oh hey, handsome. Be my best friend, 'kay?
This bear looks less terrifying and more like he wants a high-five. "Up top!"
Obviously I got a little silly. I just can't help it. The expressions on these animals were cracking me up. Then, we found fun-house mirrors. Hilarity ensued. 



What a day, guys. What a day. 

Cheers!
Kami & Chris, the Pseudo-Londoners

No comments:

Post a Comment