Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Thirteenth Day: Southwark Cathedral, Borough Market, The Globe Theatre, Millenium Bridge

Wednesday, February 19th:

Jumped on the Jubilee Line today to check out Southwark, a part of the city I'd yet to explore, kind of. I hadn't realized that the Tate Modern is in that area, but more on that later.

Probably one of my favourite things about exploring the city is taking the tube, walking up the stairs from the underground station, and seeing things like this as soon as I'm on ground level.

Southwark Cathedral. Just lovely.



The cathedral is right across the way from the Borough Market, which I've been told several times is the best food market in Europe. It was PACKED with people today, and Chris and I are crazy enough to try going this Saturday morning. I hope we survive the stampede of humans.



I left the market without sneaking too many peeks. I want to see it for the first time on Saturday, in all its glory. Plus, it was time for me to see the building that made me want to come to Southwark in the first place. When Chris and I first decided that I'd be going to London with him, all I could think about was seeing this place. Shakespeare's Globe Theatre. 

And guess what's right next door to it? THE TATE MODERN. I don't know how I didn't see this when I was there.  
Remember this panorama I posted the day I visited the Tate? THE GLOBE IS IN THIS PHOTO! And I was clueless. 

Silly, silly me. I'm sad that, because it's wintertime, they aren't doing any shows in the Globe. They begin the season on April 23rd, William Shakespeare's birthday. We'll still be in Europe then, but we're planning on embarking on a 2 week traveling tour on the 24th, as it's right near the end of our stay here. I just might be able to convince Chris to delay the trip long enough to see just ONE show.... fingers crossed. 

Being in the theatre was so surreal. I'd daydreamed about seeing this place a million, trillion times. And there I was, literally touching the stage. Mind-boggling. 




This is an indoor theatre at the globe, just finished and opened 1 month ago!
I'll definitely be seeing a show or two here before we leave.
I spent a few hours wandering the building and taking it all in, then it started to get dark. And I started to get hungry. The sunset was looking real awesome, so I walked over Millenium Bridge to get to St. Paul's station, instead of going back the way I came. I just love the way the buildings start to sparkle as the lights begin to turn on, and the sunlight is still nice and dusky. Dreamy.





I couldn't love this place more if I tried. 

Also, as an important side note! My brother and sister-in-law, Brock and Nancy, are in Tennessee right now. Why, you ask? Oh, just picking up my NEW BABY NEPHEW that they just adopted. 



Guys, meet James Robert Sisson. He's perfect, and I hate that I don't get to love on him until we're back in the states. 

Cheers!
Kami & Chris, the Pseudo-Londoners

1 comment:

  1. Bob and I have been to the Globe Theatre in St George Utah! but not this one! We are going however to see Henry1V part 1 at Stratford on Avon in late April with some friends who live in Oxford.

    ReplyDelete