Search This Blog

Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Third Day - Church, Natural History Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum

So far so good with this blog, guys! Consistent for two days is more than I can say for any other blog I've attempted.

Sunday, February 9: 
I don't know what's wrong with me. I took about a half-hour nap yesterday afternoon, and at 2:00 in the morning, I was WIDE AWAKE. I finally fell asleep at around 3:30, thank heaven. No naps for me today. I need to make sure I sleep through the night or I'm never getting over this jet lag (end whining).
 
Ready to hear about church in London? We woke up at about 7, and left at 8:15. We wanted to make sure we left enough time to catch the bus to South Kensington for our church services. We made the bus right on time, and found the meetinghouse remarkably easily. Check out how pretty this place is:





 We walked into the chapel for sacrament meeting, and immediately get asked to say the opening and closing prayers. We agreed, and had a nice chat with the 1st counselor in the bishopric. "Keep an eye out for our records," we said. "They'll be transferring them to you soon!" We shook hands, and he went on his way. We looked at the program. Hyde Park 1st Ward, it said. "Uh, Kam? Aren't we in the 2nd ward?" 

 Dang. Not even our ward, and we're already saying prayers in meetings. We find out from the couple seated in front of us with 6 kids (MUST have been from Utah) that the 2nd ward meets at 9:20, and they go to Relief Society and Priesthood Meetings first, then Sunday School, followed by Sacrament Meeting. This is backward from the way things typically go, but not completely unheard of. So, we attend their meeting, say the prayers, and meet up with our ward for Sunday School and a SECOND hour of Sacrament Meeting. So much church. Well, not more than regular, but it felt like so much.

 Oh! Sunday School. You guys, there's this fantastic old man in our ward. He's 64 years old, and a horticulturist by trade. He was teaching us the Gospel Doctrine lesson, and told us the following story: He's from South Africa, and he and his wife went home for holiday a few months back. While there, one of his friends mentions wanting to go BUNGEE JUMPING. And not just any regular ol' bungee jumping. Bungee jumping off this:


This is Bloukrans Bridge. The highest bungee jump in the ENTIRE world. It's 709 feet (216m). 

Guys, THIS MAN IS SIXTY FOUR. Why is he so much cooler than I am? I will bungee jump Bloukrans Bridge one day. Mark my words. Bucket List.  My stomach is churning as I type this. Horrifying. 

So, after church, we decide we don't want to waste a day in the city and we hit up some museums! I'm such a museum junkie. First, we went to the Natural History Museum. 

Hey Atlas? Don't shrug, 'kay?

Some kinda neat, molten, vortex-y thing. 
We probably went through about an 8th of it before we got hungry. We walked over to the South Kensington Tube Station and ate at a little panini shop. Chris had some kind of breaded chicken thing, and I had honey ham with onion chutney.  It was pretty good, but I ended up scraping off some of the chutney. SO oniony.  (I'm not really sure what I expected. Haha.)

While we were eating, this lady was serenading us outside with her FANTASTIC voice. I thought it was a record playing via an intercom at first. So good. 


Once we were nourished and had a bit more energy, we went to the Victoria and Albert Museum. I'M OBSESSED WITH THIS PLACE. 




Oooh, Neptune! Poseidon is MAD AT YOU! 
I'm planning on going back tomorrow with my sketchbook and sketching some of the renaissance sculptures. I don't know anything about art or sketching, so... no guarantees. I'll be sure to post the results. They're sure to be hysterical.

We got through maybe a 4th of the museum before Museum Fatigue set in. It's a real thing, guys. You get museum'ed out! I seriously LOVE museums, and even I found myself thinking, "Really? Another Raphael painting? Geez, how many of these things do they have?!"

That sounds bad. But every single thing in that museum is INCREDIBLE. It's overwhelming. Did I mention I'm going back for more tomorrow? Glutton for punishment. ;) 


Bonus, I finally grabbed a photo of this cute church by our house. It's one of the landmarks I use to know which direction our flat is in. 


I love this city. 

So, we've just been hanging out at home this evening. We FaceTime'd our mums and dads in The States. I did some serious designing of the blog. Tell me it looks good. SAY IT.

Cheers!

Kami & Chris, the Pseudo-Londoners. 


2 comments:

  1. I drove Bob& Charli over the Bloukrans Bridge when we were on our way to Kariega Game Reserve Eastern Cape but afraid we didn't bungee jump! It's high though, even driving across it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blog looks great. ...& I'm having fun reading it before the kids get up :) I can hear your voice! I can't believe the onion chutney was so onioney. Baaaaaaaaa ;)

    ReplyDelete