Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Fifth Day: Lazy Day, Harrods

You guys, I don't know if I'm interesting or hilarious enough to keep you entertained for 3 months. I didn't do a whole heckuva lot today.

Tuesday, February 11:
I was up last night until about 1:30am, which is super impressive if you know me. My bedtime is usually around 8:30pm. So no one should be surprised that I woke up at like 10:30am. Chris spent the morning working, and I kind of lounged around. I have an external hard-drive with a bunch of movies downloaded onto it, so I watched Bewitched. (Yeah, the one with Will Ferrell and Nicole Kidman.) It's not a great movie, but I needed some downtime. I snuggled into our bed, while Chris worked.

Our apartment here is a "serviced apartment," so once a week we have a cleaning lady come change the linens and spruce up the place. It's super-rad. This afternoon was our scheduled cleaning, so Chris and I took a break from what we were doing and went out for lunch! We decided to try The Prince Edward Pub that is literally across the street from our house. You can see it in this picture that I posted in my first post. The view from our window.

See that sign on the bottom left? That's the pub!
This is the first sit-down place we'd eaten in London. Everything else has been food stands or grocery stores, so it was kind of exciting. Chris got a Scottish Beef Sandwich, which surprised him by having horseradish on it. Yuck! He scraped it off with a knife. And I got a Club Sandwich, which was awesome. And the CHIPS YOU GUYS! I can't even handle it, they're fantastic. We also ordered a side of sweet potato wedges, because I can't get enough of 'em.


We come home, and resume our activities. Next thing I know, Chris is WAKING ME UP from a nap, so I can talk to the cleaning lady. (He was on a work call, and she needed to speak with us.)  HOW DID I SLEEP AGAIN? It was like 2:00pm. I'd barely been awake for 4 hours. Yipes!

After Chris was done working, we decided to go check out Harrods. I didn't know much about this place other than it's a giant department store, and that in the 1969, two men bought a lion cub from there, and later released it into the wild. (Watch the youtube video here. It's a pretty amazing story. Head's up though, it's about a 45 minute video. There are shorter versions, but they're dubbed with cheesy music like Aerosmith's "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing." Don't get me wrong, I love me some Aerosmith. I just don't want to listen to Steven Tyler's wonderfully screechy vocals when I'm trying to watch a video about a lion loving his humans, okay?)

I'd left the compact flash for my good camera at home, and was pretty ticked about it.
So you get iPhone photos. You're welcome.
So, here's Harrods! It's freakin' huge. It was so overwhelming, honestly. And expensive. I picked up a little girl's dress, for about a 3 year old, to show Chris how cute it was, then looked at the price tag: £890.00. That's $1463.96. CRAZY.  I instantly put it down so that my accident-prone hands wouldn't damage it, so Harrods couldn't wind up making me pay for that ridiculous thing. It WAS really cute, though.

My favourite floors at Harrods featured TOYS, CANDY, AND DISNEY STUFF! (Would you ever know I was a 25 year old adult human? Not even a little bit.)

Here are some photos from the visit:

I love these little figurines! They're probably about 2.5 to 3in tall.
Harrod's is owned by the Fayed family. Dodi Fayed was Princess Diana's boyfriend. They were both killed in the car accident in 1997. Harrods displays a monument to them. It features a wine glass used at her last dinner -- still bearing her lipstick smudges, and an engagement ring Dodi had intended on giving her, purchased the day prior.  
A book at the memorial with dedications to the couple.
Shiny, sparkley Harrods.  It looks like the Small World ride at Disneyland.
Also, I love the cabs here. Sometimes they call it a Hackney, and I love that even more. 

Cheers!
Kami & Chris, the Pseudo-Londoners




3 comments:

  1. Kami,
    Talk to your mother in law about Harrods. You saw all the teddy bears out during Christmas right. If I remember right they are all from Harrods, in not all then most were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon loved Harrods. It's a great place to look but not buy! Try Selfridges on Oxford Street too and Fortnum and Masons famous for expensive food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAH! FavoUrite! You are so British. Love reading your stories.

    ReplyDelete