Search This Blog

Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Sixteenth Day: Borough Market, Southwark Cathedral, Tate Modern, Chelsea Stadium

Today is a Saturday, which means it's the day Chris gets to be a tourist. Because he's working all week, he doesn't get to visit all the awesome places I do. Saturday is the day where I give him the speed-tour of everything I thought was worth a second visit.

So! The photos you'll see today are of places you've seen before: the Borough Market, the Southwark Cathedral, and the Tate Modern. There's also a special segment I'd like to call "Chris Presenting Art at the Tate Modern (That He Thinks Shouldn't be Considered Art at All)."

1) Borough Market



That black brick? It's licorice. My favourite.  

I bought some licorice candy here, and some raw licorice root. Can't wait to chew on it. Also, some orange juice squeezed from oranges right before my eyes. Heaven. 

2) Southwark Cathedral

I posted photos of the outside the other day, but today we went inside. 

"In memory of William Shakespeare for several years an inhabitant of this parish. 1564-1616"

A very old Knight's effigy. Really old. Like 1280-1300AD.




While in the cathedral, they stopped (as they do every hour on the half-hour) for prayer. Everyone visiting recited The Lord's Prayer with the Senior Chaplain. (I think his title was chaplain. Correct me if anyone knows better...) Pretty cool.

3) Back to Borough Market

This time for lunch. Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.

They scraped this melty cheese onto some potatoes and served it up. I WILL be having this next time we're there.


4) Winchester Palace

This Rose Window is part of the remains of Winchester Palace Also really old. 12th century.
 5)  The segment you've all been waiting for. "Chris Presenting Art at the Tate Modern (That He Thinks Shouldn't be Considered Art at All)."

"It's just fluorescent lightbulbs."
"Oh, there's more!?"
"Wire balls?" 
"Seriously?? It's a mirror."

"Gray. It's just gray." 
"It looks like poop, you HAVE to take a picture of this."

"Creepy dolls in nylons? Oh, take another picture, I have to look sad in this one."

"But really, what's this even supposed to be? I don't get it."

"How is this even art?"

"Oh, geez."
"....(silence.)" 
6) St. Paul's Cathedral



7) Chelsea Stadium

Chelsea v. Everton. Closest we'll get to a game while we're here, they're all sold out. 


Cheers!
Kami & Chris, the Pseudo-Londoners



2 comments:

  1. That lunch of yours looks good. How did it taste? I like the art section.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...I agree with Chris on this. There is some art that is very moving, but then there are those pieces that I don't get either. To me there wasn't much creativity put into them, but who knows, I am not an art person. I hope you are having fun. I have enjoyed reading this!! And seeing your pictures. LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete